By The Cigar Don [edited and expanded by David M. Voth]
There are a lot of reasons to love good cigars. The benefits are plentiful and, because of that, I firmly believe cigar smoking is the greatest pastime known to man.
In years past, cigar smoking was commonplace and readily accepted in our society. Cigars were enjoyed, mostly uninhibited, by many in professional, social, and private circles. Today, cigar smoking is largely under attack in our society, and cigar smokers are unnecessarily demonized as less than civilized people.
As cigar enthusiasts, we need to each contribute to changing these perceptions. Cigar smoking poses less health risk than cigarette smoking. Also, cigar smokers tend to be among the most respectable and respectful people on earth. So we all need to carry the torch and turn the conversation positive about cigars.
As I enjoyed a couple of cigars over the last weekend, I thought about the benefits they deliver and the reasons I love to smoke them. If I could sum it up to two words, I would say the cigar is the great facilitator and enhancer.
1) Relaxing – There are very few things in life more relaxing than smoking a cigar. That’s just a fact. A cigar at the end of the worst day has the power to single handedly change your perspective and make things right. I don’t smoke cigars only to relax, but invariably, when I do smoke one, I am more relaxed at the end than when I started.
“There’s nothing like a good cigar after a hard day’s work. It’s so relaxing, a pure luxury to be savored and enjoyed. Something to look forward to.”
2) Problem Solver – Got a problem to solve? A good cigar will help. I have solved many a problem in life over a good cigar. Perhaps it’s the relaxing qualities of the cigar, or maybe it’s something else, but a good cigar enhances your ability to think clearly and reason. The problems never seem as big or as tough to solve after a good puro.
“The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a [premium] cigar.”
3) Camaraderie – the solitude of smoking a cigar by yourself is nice sometimes, but there is nothing like enjoying the company of other cigar enthusiasts when you smoke a cigar. There is a unique bond between cigar guys and it’s easy to strike up a conversation, even if you have never met them before.
“Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels.”
~Alfred de Musset
4) Conversation Enhancer – conversations are just plain better when you are smoking cigars. No matter who you’re with, the conversation is more interesting, enjoyable, funny, and fruitful when you’re all enjoying a cigar.
“What I like most about cigars is simply sitting and talking with other men… Some of the best conversations I’ve ever had with men have been over a cigar.”
~Jim Belushi, Actor
5) Hunger Eliminator – I’m a big guy and I could stand to skip a few meals from time to time. It’s a proven fact that smoking cigars can have the effect of reducing your appetite. I often smoke a cigar when I get hungry to lessen hunger pangs or make it easier to eat less. And it works. It’s a natural diet supplement!
“It’s the most perfect addiction, if you aren’t hungry it’ll give you an appetite, if you are hungry and there isn’t any food in the immediate future you can dull your hunger pain if you’re smoking. It wakes you up if you’re tired, and it makes you sleepy if you’re not tired. It’s the perfect self-administered micro-drug and it’s a little glowing friend that never lets you down.”
I hope this was good food for thought and I hope it will challenge you to think as well, and respond. Most of all, be proud to be a cigar smoker, and never apologize for being one.