We have published many articles extolling the health benefits of drinking coffee daily. However, we have never published anything listing the benefits of drinking green tea, which also has many health benefits. Therefore, here are sixteen reasons why you should drink more green tea. Smokers and drinkers please pay special attention to reasons #10 & #11.
1. Green tea prolongs your life. According to a Japanese study, people who consumed 5 or more cups a day had a significantly lower risk of death from all causes, especially lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease and stroke.
2. Green tea is an excellent source of antioxidants that fight against free radicals that can cause cell and skin damage.
3. Green tea reduces risk of cancer. The antioxidants in green tea are 100 times more effective than vitamin C and 25 times better than vitamin E.
4. Green tea promotes fat burning and enables you to exercise longer. It raises your resting metabolism by 4-8%, according to a French research team.
5. The flavonoids in green tea lower blood cholesterol, reduces LDL (bad cholesterol) counts
6. L-theanine an amino acid found in green tea can also help to relieve stress and anxiety
7. Green tea boosts brainpower. The polyphenols and epigalochatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a very strong antioxidant, enhance learning, memory ability, and overall brain function
8. The polyphenols and polysaccharides in green tea lowering blood sugar
9. Green tea helps reduce blood pressure by reducing angiotensin
10. Green tea helps to protect your lungs from smoking and the Theophylline in green tea relaxes the respiratory tract reducing the impact of asthma
11. Green tea helps to protect your liver from alcohol. Research shows that green tea destroys harmful free radicals in fatty livers.
12. Green tea prevents tooth decay and cures bad breath. It kills the bacteria that cause dental plaques and halitosis (bad breath) and increases the acid resistance of tooth enamel.
13. Green tea helps preserve and build bones. Australian researchers report that bone mineral density is 2.8% greater in green tea drinkers than non-drinkers.
14. Green tea boosts your immunity against illnesses
15. Green tea reduces inflammation – reducing the risk of rheumatoid arthritis
16. Green tea rehydrates you better than water alone