Ever wonder why golf is so popular and why people who don’t even play go to tournaments or watch it on TV? The following truisms may shed light on the reasons why golf is so popular:
- Golf is an honorable game, with the overwhelming majority of players being honorable people who don’t need referees.
- Golfers don’t have some of their players in jail every week.
- Golfers don’t scratch their privates on the golf course.
- Golfers don’t kick dirt on, or throw bottles at, other people.
- Professional golfers are compensated in direct proportion to how well they play.
- Golfers don’t get per diem and two seats on a charter flight when they travel between tournaments.
- Golfers don’t hold out for more money, or demand new contracts, because of another player’s deal.
- Professional golfers don’t demand that the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play.
- When golfers make a mistake, nobody is there to cover for them or back them up.
- Ladies are welcome players.
- You can hear birds chirping on the golf course during a tournament.
- You can smoke a cigar on most golf courses.
- The PGA Tour raises more money for charity in one year than the National Football League does in two.
- You can watch the best golfers in the world up close, at any tournament, including the majors, all day, every day for $25 or $30. The cost for a seat in the nosebleed section at the Super Bowl will cost around $300 or more.
- You can bring a picnic lunch to the tournament golf course, watch the best in the world and not spend a small fortune on food and drink. Try that at one of the taxpayer funded baseball or football stadium and you’ll be asked to dispose of it, or you won’t be allowed to stay in the stadium.
- In golf you cannot fail 70% of the time and make $9 million a season, like the best baseball hitters (.300 batting average) do. Golf doesn’t change its rules to attract fans.
- Professional golfers have to adapt to an entirely new playing area each week.
- Golfers keep their clothes on while they are being interviewed.
- Golf doesn’t have free agency. In their prime, Greg Norman, Arnold Palmer and other stars, would shake your hand and say they were happy to meet you. In his prime Jose Canseco wore T-shirts that read “Leave Me Alone.”
- Top golfers can hit a golf ball three times as far as a top baseball player can hit a baseball.
Here’s a slice of golf history for you…
Have you ever wonder why there are 18 holes?
Why do full-length golf courses have 18 holes, and not 20, or 10 or an even dozen?
Well, there are many theories, myths and stories. This one may or may not be true, but it is the best story…
During a discussion among the club’s membership board at St. Andrews in 1858, one of the members pointed out that it takes exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to only one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out.